When we think of educational field trips choices, we traditionally start with places like art galleries and museums, and planetariums and aquariums to name a few. They are obviously great choices for children to learn from. Nowadays, the list is long for places to visit outside of the classroom where learning is reinforced in some…
We’re very fortunate to live in a place like British Columbia. Now that we have had over a year of travel restrictions, I think many of us have learned to appreciate our home, but now it’s time to expand our reach and explore BC. We’re days away from Summer Break and the calendar may or may not be filled with things to do. If you’re looking for ideas to fill the Summer holidays. Below are four amazing places to explore plus some fun activities to fill your summer days.
Four amazing places to explore this Summer
Burnaby Village Museum
Burnaby, BC 604-297-4565
Stroll through the 1920’s village to explore the many historical exhibits in this 10-acre open-air museum. See how communities used to look, and learn more about the different cultures that make up Burnaby’s history. Free gate admission during summer. Book your visit today.
Kids Market Granville Island. … all about having fun!
25 shops, services, and activities for kids & their families. All stores are locally owned, making each store a one of a kind experience. Play indoors or splash around in the water park that is right next door!
Playland at the PNE
Located on the historic PNE grounds, Playland features over 35 exhilarating rides and attractions! It’s also home to
Kids Playce, a special zone with rides and attractions for children aged 2–10. Looking for a unique way to celebrate
your child’s birthday? Think of Playland for all day fun.
WildPlay Maple Ridge
+1 855 595 2251
Book now: wildplay.com/maple-ridge
Explore group rates: wildplay.com/groups
Discover the Lower Mainland’s most thrilling family adventure at WildPlay! 12 ziplines, 45 aerial obstacle games, a 40ft jump and more! Activities for ages 5+.
Health & Safety at WildPlay: WildPlay follows all current provincial health guidelines. Masks are recommended to be worn at all times and social distancing protocols are maintained throughout the park. There is no better place to be right now than outside!
More activities to fill your Summer days.
- Get outdoors. From hiking to rock climbing, almost every neighbourhood offers an opportunity. While Squamish and Whistler may be the climbing meccas of the West Coast, there are many out-of-the-way places that offer you a chance to give bouldering a try. Check out the big rock in Riley Park that is ideal for climbing. Beginners can try indoor climbing.
- Hit the water. Check out white water rafting, kayaking, canoeing, and maybe even dragon-boating. If you’re feeling really adventurous, try surfing or scuba diving. Of course, just getting in a lake or the ocean is also a refreshing activity.
- Go fishing. Learn to fish, go for a guided trip, or simply try fishing at a well-stocked pond. Young children enjoy the accomplishment of catching their first fish—and there’s nothing like fresh-caught fish for supper. Be sure to get a license.
- Visit a farm! The young and the young-at-heart are fascinated with animals. Explore wild bird habitats, nature preserves, and wild animal sanctuaries.
- Schedule some alone time. If you want to have a little time to yourself, why not a DIY daycamp? Join forces with other parents to provide a day camp by each taking the kids for a day, morning, or afternoon.
- Blow some bubbles! Looking for an inexpensive option for some outdoor summer fun? With a little preparation, you can turn bubble blowing into an afternoon of scientific experiments. Get expert tips on how to blow the best bubbles here.
Regardless of how you fill your summer days, make sure you’re having a good time, staying protected from the sun, and enjoying time with your family. Happy Summer!
Come to the PNE Fair to see all the attractions you know and love, plus attractions for both the kids and the adults. NEW under $10 Taste of the Fair menu that includes a list of specialty options that will keep your costs down and the fun rolling. With over 50 vendors at this year's…
This year, get more scream time at Playland, where you'll find thrills the algorithm could only dream of. The Playland season started in June and runs until August 18.
It's Summer vacation. Do you have camps planned? Holidays? Or lots of time to fill locally? Why not turn those days around the house into more of a Staycation and take an adventure locally?