The time has come. Your child sings and hums all the time, dances around the house and expresses themselves with music everywhere they go. As parents, we want to encourage this, so we think – music lessons, and music instruments! The best time to get a jump start on music is when the child is…
Looking for ways to encourage artistic creativity at home? These five ideas will help light that spark.
- Get Moving: Movement will get you and your kid warmed up and ready to tackle any challenge. Make a story out of it to really get the creative juices flowing. Maybe you move from room to room, traveling the galaxy, and you need to move a certain way on each planet. Encourage him to make suggestions.
- Let Them Choose: Ask your child what they want to do as an art activity. Avoid giving direction, so they feel empowered to make decisions. Once she’s chosen an activity, encourage her to try new things, like a different kind of paper or brush in painting, or adding other materials to make a sculptural creation.
- Get Messy: Art can get messy. Prepare your space by laying out a sheet on the ground or clearing an area where you can work or move. This cue tells your kid it’s time to create without holding back. Encourage them to help you clean up at the end. The routine will teach them focus and discipline.
- Be a Good Audience: If you’re creating a puppet show, dance show, or other performance, take the time to be a good audience. Your attention demonstrates your support for their creative pursuits. If you have more than one child, encourage them to create something together. But even if they create separate shows, lead by example and ensure each child gets the focus on them while they perform.
- Talk About Art: Encourage conversation about your child’s art by asking them to tell you about their creation or why they made a specific choice. Find out what inspires them and provide positive feedback about these influences, no matter how small.
As each child is unique, exposing them to explore many genres of music and types of instruments in the early years can play an instrumental role in sparking that connection for them to music.
Renovating a family home can be challenging enough without children present - let alone when doing it on your own! Renovation projects can be noisy, chaotic and disruptive - not to mention dangerous! When combined with power tools and workstations that look like play areas for small children, a disaster could easily ensue. 1. Establish…
For some though trick-or-treating is no longer a viable option. Since the challenging Halloweens during COVID, there has been a decline in trick-or-treating. There are a few other reasons why it may not be the best way to celebrate Halloween this year.